This Caprese Avocado Toast is piled high with creamy avocado, pesto sauce, fresh tomatoes, and mozzarella cheese. With a drizzle of balsamic glaze and fresh basil on top, it becomes a deliciously satisfying way to start the day!
Folks, we’re not playing around with this one! A simple avocado toast recipe goes from basic to next level with a caprese twist. Feast your eyes and grab your appetites, you’re going to want to make this ASAP!
Why You’ll Love Caprese Avocado Toast
I mean, it’s avocado toast (delicious) topped with caprese salad (also delicious) and you can eat it over the sink or on the couch if you want to. What’s not to love about it?!
If you need convincing, consider the following:
- The texture combos are second only to the flavor combos. This Caprese Avocado Toast has it all: crispy, creamy, crunchy, salty, savory, sweet, and you can get it all in every single bite!
- Avocados contain the type of fat that may protect against heart disease. They also provide fiber, which most of us aren’t eating enough of.
- Going out to brunch requires effort. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but if you’re just not feeling it, you can brunch at home with something truly worthy of the $15 or more you’d shell out at your local spot.
This version definitely has a seriously savory slant with just a hint of sweetness from the balsamic vinegar. If you’re looking for someone similar toast recipes, check out my Balsamic Strawberry Avocado Toast, Furikake Tomato Toast, or Savory Caesar Beans on Toast instead!
Ingredients You’ll Need
With just a few fresh ingredients, you can make this hearty avo toast to enjoy as a snack or with a meal. Some of these ingredients are pantry staples, but click HERE to see a shopping list from Instacart. Grocery delivery is a convenient option to stock up on anything you don’t already have!
- Thick-cut bread. The best type of bread for this Caprese Avocado Toast is a thick slice of bread. It could be whole grain bread, sourdough, or anything similar to the multi-grain, seeded bread you see in my photos.
- Olive oil
- Ripe avocado. Use one large or two smaller avocados. Ripe avocados will be easier to mash with better flavor and texture.
- Cherry tomatoes
- Mozzarella pearls
- Balsamic glaze
- Pesto (this is a great time to try my Homemade Basil Pecan Pesto)
- Fresh basil leaves
- Flaky sea salt and black pepper
As a registered dietitian, one of the best parts of my job is encouraging folks to eat the bread, add a sauce, pump up the flavor. The most nourishing food is usually the best tasting food. So feel free to add whatever you like to this ingredient list!
And remember, this caprese avocado toast works best with bite-sized pieces. Not only are they less likely to slide off the toast, but it’s easier to eat. Bigger is not always better! If slicing fresh mozzarella cheese or large tomatoes, dice or chop into smaller pieces for easier handling.
How to Make Caprese Avocado Toast
Let’s start with a confession: I don’t own a toaster. The last time I did, I’m pretty sure I was still in college and sharing one with my roommates. Since then, I’ve used a nonstick skillet or cast iron griddle for toasting and it’s working out alright so far.
So, with that out of the way, I think the easiest way to start with how-to instructions is to simply say, “toast the bread until golden brown using your preferred toasting method.” Meaning, you want a crispy exterior that can hold up under the mashed avocado and support all the toppings. But don’t burn or scorch it (unless you’re into that flavor profile).
If using a toaster or toaster oven, adjust settings according to how “done” you like your toast. And if using a skillet, brush or drizzle each side of the bread with a little olive oil. Heat the skillet over medium heat, flipping after 2-3 minutes on each side or after the bread is adequately and evenly toasted.
From there, following these next steps to construct your Caprese Avocado Toast:
- Wash and dry the cherry tomatoes. Slice them in half, along with the mozzarella pearls. Roughy chop or slice the fresh basil leaves. No need to look perfect, it just needs to be chopped so you can get fresh flavor in each bite!
- Slice the avocado in half and remove the pit, then use a spoon to transfer the avocado into a small bowl or ramekin. Season lightly with salt and pepper, then mash to a chunky consistency. Depending on the ripeness of your avocado, it might be easier to use a fork for this step.
- Once the bread is toasted, spread the pesto sauce on one side. Spoon half of the mashed avocado mixture into each slice, on top of the pesto, then add the cherry tomatoes and mozzarella pearls.
- Drizzle with the balsamic glaze and garnish with basil. Add some additional salt and cracked black pepper if desired, along with any other seasoning you like.
Serve it up and enjoy!
Variations and Substitutions
There’s truly no wrong way to make avocado toast but you might want to change it up. As always, my recipes are more of a suggestion. Adjust however you want or need to.
- Use a prepared or homemade pesto sauce, like my Easy 5-Ingredient Pesto or Pecan Pesto.
- Swap bread slices for a toasted English muffin. Take advantage of all those nooks and crannies!
- Try fresh mozzarella slices (torn into smaller pieces as needed) or burrata instead of smaller mozzarella pearls.
- Add a fried egg for a boost of protein.
- If you don’t have balsamic glaze, you can make your own by reducing balsamic vinegar over heat. Or simply drizzle balsamic vinegar over your caprese avocado toast for a less sweet flavor.
Hopefully this is giving you plenty of ideas for how to customize your Caprese Avocado Toast. Start with this basic recipe and let your culinary creativity be your guide!
Caprese Avocado Toast with Pesto and Balsamic Glaze
- toaster or toaster oven
- small bowl or ramekin
- cutting board and paring knife
- 2 slices thick cut bread, sourdough, multigrain, seeded, or similar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp pesto sauce
- 1 large avocado
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 oz fresh mozzarella pearls, halved
- 2-3 tsp balsamic glaze
- 3 to 4 leaves fresh basil, chopped or torn
- flaky sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Brush both sides of the sliced bread with olive oil. Toast to a crispy exterior, or your preferred doneness.
- Meanwhile, wash and dry the cherry tomatoes. Slice in half, along with the mozzarella cheese. Roughy chop or slice the fresh basil leaves.
- Slice the avocado in half and remove the pit, then use a spoon to transfer the avocado into a small bowl or ramekin. Season lightly with salt and pepper, then mash to a chunky consistency.
- Once the bread is toasted, spread the pesto sauce on one side. Spoon half of the mashed avocado mixture into each slice, then top with the cherry tomatoes and mozzarella pearls.
- Drizzle with the balsamic glaze and garnish with basil. Add a pinch of flaky sea salt and cracked black pepper if desired. Serve immediately and enjoy!
I’m confident this Caprese Avocado Toast recipe will become a favorite for breakfast, brunch, a quick lunch, or a hearty snack. If you try it out, leave a rating or comment to let me know what you think! I always enjoy hearing feedback about recipes and how you make them your own.
And as always, thanks for stopping by the Street Smart Nutrition blog! You can find more and follow along on Instagram and YouTube, and don’t forget to sign up for my newsletter so you never miss a new post. Cheers to more fearlessly nourishing meals!