Mocktails are having a major moment right now, so add this Envy™ Apple Margarita Mocktail to your menu! It’s crisp, sweet, and features the beautiful Envy™ apple. Keep reading to learn more and get the full recipe!
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Envy™ Apples. I was compensated for my time. As always, thank you for supporting the partners who support Street Smart Nutrition.
Why You’ll Love This Envy™ Apple Margarita Mocktail
There’s no shortage of cocktail recipes out there, and some are easier to adapt to non-alcoholic mocktail recipes than others. This Envy™ Apple Margarita Mocktail does it perfectly!
- This drink is full of festive flavors for the Cinco de Mayo holiday season
- The Envy™ apple garnish looks beautiful and tastes even better
- It’s sparkling and refreshing, plus it contains no alcohol so it can be enjoyed by everyone!
If you’re looking for another seasonal apple recipe, check out my Caramel Apple S’mores Dessert Board! It features the same great-tasting apples on a simple, no-cook fall spread for backyard parties or bonfires.
Ingredients You’ll Need
To make a traditional margarita, you need tequila (like a blanco tequila or reposado tequila), lime juice, orange liquor (like Cointreau, triple sec, or Grand Marnier), salt, and a lime wedge. In the United States, it’s also really common to see pre-mixed margaritas, sour mix for margaritas, frozen margaritas, and margaritas with seasonal or fruit flavors.
However, you can make a delicious drink without the liquor using these ingredients:
- Apple juice or apple cider: if you can find it, look for unsweetened options for a richer taste that doesn’t overpower with sweetness
- Fresh lime juice: fresh citrus is an essential ingredient for making the best mocktails, especially a non-alcoholic apple margarita like this one
- Agave syrup: look for premade agave syrup near the honey. A small amount goes a long way, so adjust according to your tastes when you make this mocktail
- Tonic: the carbonation and slightly bitter flavor can be a good replacement for tequila in a margarita mocktail. See below for more alternatives and suggestions.
- Ice cubes: while mixologists might promote the purest, clear ice you can make, we’re not aiming for perfection! The regular ice cubes from your freezer work just fine
- Envy™ apple slices: thinly sliced apples make a simple yet sophisticated garnish
- Tajin and sugar: No margarita mocktail is complete until it’s served in a rimmed glass to help you feel fancy. Mix granulated sugar and tajin together for a sweet and tangy flavor with each sip
You can also add a pinch of salt before shaking, but that’s totally optional if you’re watching your sodium intake.
Tajin seasoning is a Mexican spice blend made with chili peppers, lime, and salt. It’s slightly sweet, tangy, and spicy and tastes delicious sprinkled on fresh fruits or cooked vegetables and meats. It’s also popular for drinks like micheladas and margaritas, which is exactly why I used it for this Envy™ apple margarita mocktail! Look for it in the spice aisle of your grocery store or buy online.
What Makes Envy™ Apples Special?
If you’re not already familiar with Envy™ apples, you’re in for a treat!
These apples are a cross between a Braeburn and Royal Gala apple.They’re the trendiest apple thanks to their unique ability to stay fresh and crisp longer. This makes them ideal for snacking, which is how I first grew to love them. But the sweet taste and aroma, plus the bold red color also makes them ideal for salads, boards and platters, cocktails and mocktails, and so much more. So it’s been a lot of fun experimenting with new recipes like this one!
Look for Envy™ apples in the produce section of your grocery store, or use this easy store locator to find them near you.
How to Make an Envy™ Apple Margarita Mocktail
Are you thirsty yet? Let’s get down to making this mocktail!
- Start by getting your serving glass ready. Combine the sugar and tajin and spread it on a small plate or shallow dish. Take a small wedge of lime and slide it around the top of the glass, then flip the glass upside down and gently tap it to rim with the sugar-tajin mix
- As the rim dries, carefully slice the Envy™ apple into a few very thin slices. Sprinkle some extra tajin on top and set aside – with Envy™ apples there’s no worrying about them browning or losing their crispness or flavor!
- Measure the apple juice or cider and pour it into the cocktail shaker. Squeeze the limes and add the fresh lime juice along with the agave syrup.
- Add ice cubes to the serving glass and cocktail shaker.
- Shake vigorously until the outside of the cocktail shaker is cold. Strain and pour into the prepared glass.
- Top with 2-4 oz of tonic to fill the rest of your serving glass. Adjust the amount of ice based on personal preference. Garnish your apple margarita mocktail with your Envy™ apple garnish. Serve and enjoy!
Swaps and Variations
This version of an apple margarita cocktail recipe is alcohol-free, so you always have the option of adding tequila or liquor back in. But here are some other suggestions for other mocktail variations:
- Instead of agave syrup, you can use simple syrup or a homemade syrup made with a 1:1 ratio of water with honey or brown sugar simmered in a small saucepan
- For a fall margarita, try adding cinnamon sticks for garnish or use a spiced apple cider. You can also swap the tajin with cinnamon for a cinnamon sugar rim at the top of each drinking glass
- Try ginger beer or lime-flavored seltzer instead of tonic water
This Envy™ Apple Margarita Mocktail is delicious enough to enjoy any time of year, so save this recipe and shake up some fun with this fizzy drink!
Sparkling Envy Apple Margarita Mocktail
- Cocktail Shaker
- 2 oz jigger
- shallow dish or plate
- Combine the sugar and tajin and spread it on a small plate or shallow dish. Take a small wedge of lime and slide it around the top of a cocktail glass, then flip the glass upside down and gently tap it to rim with the sugar-tajin mix.
- As the rim dries, carefully slice the Envy™ apple into a few very thin slices. Sprinkle some extra tajin on top and set aside, and use the remaining apple for a snack or other recipes.
- Measure the apple juice or cider and pour it into the cocktail shaker. Squeeze the lime and add the fresh juice along with the agave syrup.
- Add ice cubes to the serving glass and cocktail shaker. Shake vigorously until the outside of the cocktail shaker is cold, about 15 seconds. Strain and pour into the prepared glass.
- Top with 2-4 oz of tonic to fill the rest of your serving glass. Adjust the amount of ice based on personal preference. Garnish with the Envy™ apple slices. Serve and enjoy!
If you try this apple margarita mocktail recipe, I’d love to hear what you think! Leave me a rating or comment, and be sure to save this recipe or share with friends and family. And if you’re planning any festive gatherings or events, remember to include Envy™ apples in the celebration! You can learn more about them and find delicious recipe inspiration HERE.
As always, thanks for stopping by the Street Smart Nutrition blog. Raise your glass as we cheers to more fearlessly nourishing meals!
A Note About Cinco De Mayo
Cinco de Mayo is commonly mistaken for Mexican Independence Day but actually celebrates Mexico’s victory over the French in the Battle of Puebla. It’s more widely observed in the United States than Mexico at this point, but not everyone participates in the drinking culture now associated with this holiday. I highly recommend exploring and learning about Mexican + Mexican-American cuisine and culture if you partake in any festivities.
There’s debate over the origins of the margarita, but common lore suggests it was developed by bartenders working in Juarez or Tijuana, Mexico. While this apple margarita recipe is not a traditional margarita, the fresh lime juice, agave syrup, and tajin rim pay homage to the spirit of the drink in mocktail form.